X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Racing Harnesses Street Legal?

Are 5 point seat belts legal?
    State laws refer to federal safety standards for safety belts and their mounting locations. It will take a bit more research on our end before we can post an answer to that question, but stay tuned.
    DISCLAIMER: LiftLaws.com does not render legal or other professional advice. LiftLaws.com, and this forum, provide information about the law, however, legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult legal council if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

I don't know about the vehicle codes on them but my understaning of the 5 point harnesses is that in order for them to be considered "safe", you must have a cage in place with proper padding. Even then, if you have a cage in a vehicle, you should have a helmet on at all times. Owning and working on a race car for many years I have had my fair share of run ins with exposed tubing coming in contact with my elbows and head and it will wake you up quick and make you see stars. Regardless of how tight the 5 points are, your body will still move a couple inches in all directions.

The factory 3 point seat belts are designed so that in the event of a roll over your body will be able to bend or lay over towards the center of the cab out of the way of the roof and the door. Furthermore in order to safely get you out of a vehicle in the event of a crash, the officer/firefighter/paramedic etc would have to cut all 5 restraints (if they are unable to get to the quick release) instead of just one to get you out of the vehicle. This could be the determining factor to whether you live or die.

Not sure if that helped clarify or shed some light on 5 point harnesses in a street vehicle but that's my understanding and experience with them.

Take it for what you will but regardless of how cool you might think they are or how "safe" you feel with them, I would always run the factory 3 point without a cage. If you have an internal cage make sure its covered with adequate padding to lessen the impact for when your head comes in contact with the tubing. If you want or need the 5 points installed for off highway use just keep the factory belts installed to use when on the street.
    Thanks for sharing!
    DISCLAIMER: LiftLaws.com does not render legal or other professional advice. LiftLaws.com, and this forum, provide information about the law, however, legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult legal council if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Comment

Working...
    X