North Dakota Street Legal Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota Street Legal Laws

Welcome to the North Dakota Street Legal Laws discussion thread.

In order to post a new comment or question, you will need to register for a free AllCrawl account.

Important! If you are posting a correction or change, please be sure to reference the code section or include a link to your source!

- View: North Dakota Street Legal Laws

All posts are moderated for accuracy, however, please keep in mind that LiftLaws.com, All Crawl, and this thread are not to be used for legal advice.
    Any information found on these sites or pages should never be viewed, interpreted, or used as such. See our full disclaimer here.
    Last edited by LiftLaws; 02-16-2015, 05:18 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: LiftLaws.com does not render legal or other professional advice. LiftLaws.com, and this forum, provide information about the law, however, legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult legal council if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

The 'Director" has promulgated that the tread of the tires (to the apex of the shoulder) cannot protrude from the wheel wells, from 45 degrees forward of the vertical axis and 90 degrees rearward of the vertical axis, both measured from the center of the axle, therefore fenders are required, but not mudflaps. This of course excludes implements of husbandry (farm machinery) and Hot Rods, which have been checked and cleared by the Highway Patrol.

CORRECTION: As for mud flaps, it is 15 degrees to the front and 75 degrees to the rear. Sorry for the mixup! Also, the steering wheel must be at least 13 inches in diameter. A motor vehicle can not have any parts extending below the rim, except the tire, and any grounding device that is intended for that purpose.
    Thank you very much for the corrections and updates! I have verified your information and have made the appropriate changes.
    DISCLAIMER: LiftLaws.com does not render legal or other professional advice. LiftLaws.com, and this forum, provide information about the law, however, legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult legal council if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Comment

Can tail light covers be blacked out and still be street legal?
      Tail lamps must emit a red light and must be visible from a distance of 1000 feet. Headlights are required to be able to reveal people and vehicles at a distance of at least 200 feet. I could not find any code section that specifically prohibits tinting or blacking out lights as long as the previously stated capabilities are retained.

Comment

FYI if you read the NDCC 39-21-45-1 it states that those laws apply to vehicles with a base weight under 7000 lbs so bumper height shouldn't apply to trucks that weigh more than 7000 lbs. Also if you read NDCC 37-12-02 those laws apply to vehicles under 6000 lbs. So if for example you own a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel (Base weight 7300 according to Dodges website) you technically can run a bumper height over 27 inches and your tires can stick out past the body line as far as you'd like. You just have to stay within the 14 ft max height and 8 feet 6 inches of max width. I'm going to court over these matters now and I will report back after July 8th.
        Thanks for catching that, I've made the changes. Definitely keep us posted with the results of your court case, we would love to see the details, win or lose and would gladly compensate you for your story.

No compensation is necessary.... i want to educate everyone as much as possible. Because a lot of times, myself included, when i get stopped and ticketed I just pay the ticket thinking the cops know the laws and enforce them. But after researching I found that they in fact know part of the law and not the entire law. Sure the laws may apply to 1/2 ton trucks, but most 3/4 and 1ton diesels do not apply to these laws. And the tire width applies to even less trucks on the road. Its important that people know what their base weight is and use the laws accordingly. I got pulled over by the same cop for the same thing and when I present them with the law they disregard it and still cite me. If I'm not mistaken police officers are sworn to up hold the law, not cite based on personal opinions. A lot of police officers have seen the law and say its legal, but for some reason this particular officer either has it out for me, or doesn't like the fact that I've took the time to research the laws. For the record i have a few friend that are officers, I have a good standing relationship with other officers through my business. But this one particular one seems to have it out for me, and I've never met or done anything to him prior to this.
        I got a call today from my lawyer. The judge dismissed my tickets for modified motor vehicle (39-21-45-1) for bumper height and my tires sticking out too far from the body (37-12-02) based on the vehicle base weight regulations stated in each statue. So, if your truck weighs over 7000lbs (curb weight) you are exempt. If your modified weight is over 7000lbs you could get away with it, but the law states it must be unmodified weight. So, basically how the truck rolls off the assembly line without fluids in it. The Dodge Rams 2500/3500 Megacab Cummins and Ford Super Duties are for sure over the 7000 mark.... the Chevy/GMCs I'm not too sure about. I know some courts allowed the modified weight to be accepted, but in my city they wanted the unmodified weight.
        Just another follow up. I received my letter of dismissal from the city attorney. Its funny because through out the letter it states.... "at this time" a few times. I was told that our chief of police is lobbying to have the laws changed and updated to reflect this loop hole that I found. I'm not too concerned because according to my attorney I should be OK since I was legal at one time, I believe the term is ex post facto... but don't quote me on that. I also remember how much trouble it was to change the tint laws, so unless other cities raise a stink about this, I think its going to die and go away. What I'm most upset about is that this is even a concern.... if they want to be so concerned for people safety then why aren't motorcyclist required to wear a helmet? I ride with a helmet all the time! Also if they are so safety conscience why don't school buses have seat belts for the kids? The driver has one?
        Its me again..... I got pulled over by a highway patrol officer. I again explained to him the laws and showed him my copies of the law, my base weight from Dodges website, my letter of dismissal from the city, and my actual weight from a weight scale and he still issued me a ticket. I asked why? he said you won in city court, not district. GREAT here we go again. I said that's fine, I'll see you in court. Fast forward a few weeks later..... my lawyer called and said the states attorney dismissed it based on the evidence. YES!!! He said you should be getting a letter of dismissal soon, and there is no one left to challenge me! I hope anyways! Here is a picture of my truck.....
        Also I just got back from my trial, and I won! Because the vehicle weighs over 7000lbs from the factory i dismissed by the judge! Even though we admit that the bumpers are over 27inches tall, the weight factor excludes me from that requirement. So if you can prove your truck weighs over 7000lbs from the factory you should be able to lift your truck beyond the 27 inch rule.
        Awesome information, thanks for posting!
        Last edited by LiftLaws; 11-25-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I have a 01 dodge ext cab long box with the 5.9 Cummins with XD series rims and all terrain tires...the tire tread does not exceed the the top of the fender but I've been harassed and gotten tickets because where the body line curls on the bottom part of the fender it doesn't cover the tread of the tire and the cops have been counting the side wall tread...where did you get your info on the 7000 pounds rule so i can print it off word for word and show it to the cops and actually have a case in court.
          For tire width the old code is ND century code 37-12-02 section 2c. Here is the link to download the PDF. Now I heard they may have changed the code but the law is still the same. Tire width law applies to vehicles UNDER 6000lbs! So you should be fine. Bumper height is 7000lbs and that is ND CC 39-21-45-1, which you can down load that pdf file here..... page 20 I believe is what you are looking for. Hope that helps and good luck.
          Thank you info and educating everyone with these laws...it is much appreciated and i will use this info on my next ticket or court date depending on what the hp has to say haha....Thank you
          Thanks for posting!

Comment

What about the head lights we can get away with being tall but head lights need to be 54inches? I want to put an 8ich kit in mine I have a 4inch with a 3inch body right now how do I get around them on this one because I measured my headlight and they are already at 54inches.
            We've heard of people installing snowplow lights within the legal headlight height range to comply with the law but it would be a good idea to call the local authorities to see if that would be an acceptable solution.

Comment

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (Gas).. It has a suspension lift kit on it and different rims and tires. I was getting harassed by our cop in my town to put fender flares on it because the tires stuck out to far so i did and they still stick out some so he stopped me the other day again and said if i keep driving it with the tires sticking out he is going to impound it. I don't know how much it weighs yet but if it weighs over 6000 pounds sense it's a 2500 am i exempt from the tire width laws?
              Please read the above posts. The law applies to vehicles under 7,000 lbs.

Comment

ND lift laws changed.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/62-...20130228222948
                I do believe they changed this. it now reads 16000 pounds.

OK, Forget this. I was just Emailed by one of our legislators tonight. and that bill was not passed into law yet.
                I am attempting to sway them to amend these laws to be less "restrictive"
                Like to remove the 42" cargo height for one.
                Last edited by Stomper1; 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info and coming back to correct it. Please keep us posted if anything does end up changing.

Originally posted by Stomper1 View Post
                  ND lift laws changed.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/62-...20130228222948
                  I do believe they changed this. it now reads 16000 pounds.

OK, Forget this. I was just Emailed by one of our legislators tonight. and that bill was not passed into law yet.
                  I am attempting to sway them to amend these laws to be less "restrictive"
                  Like to remove the 42" cargo height for one.

Comment

Working...
                  X