Massachusetts Street Legal Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Street Legal Laws

Welcome to the Massachusetts Street Legal Laws discussion thread.

In order to post a new comment or question, you will need to register for a free AllCrawl account.

Important! If you are posting a correction or change, please be sure to reference the code section or include a link to your source!

- View: Massachusetts Street Legal Laws

All posts are moderated for accuracy, however, please keep in mind that LiftLaws.com, All Crawl, and this thread are not to be used for legal advice.
    Any information found on these sites or pages should never be viewed, interpreted, or used as such. See our full disclaimer here.
    Last edited by LiftLaws; 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: LiftLaws.com does not render legal or other professional advice. LiftLaws.com, and this forum, provide information about the law, however, legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult legal council if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Every truck/Jeep/SUV has door height restrictions. When you get a yearly inspection sticker and you're truck is lifted, the inspector will measure the middle of the driver's side door. For example a '95 F250 supercab longbed has a max door height of 31" (+-) 1" for OEM tolerances. Basically the longer the truck the higher you can go. The guide inspectors use was last updated in 1991, which only adds to the confusion. If you ask any cop about this they will give you a puzzled look or they'll say "max 2" which only applies to 2wd trucks. Unfortunately it is the most confusing lift law state in the nation and just proves how screwed up Mass laws can be.
    Amen, that place is the home of MOON BATS too much time on their hands and no common sense. Check out their firearm laws OMG!
    Looked up MGL 90-7P and it states and this is a short version; 2" above or below manuf. orig., but they emphasize shackles or add-ons to a factory suspension. there is nothing that says you can't put a complete system in. it is written this way so it can be open for interpretation. in other words, if a cop thinks its overkill, then they have the right of law to impound and/or revoke the vehicles ability to be operated on the roads. i haven't been bothered yet from any state official for my suspension, and I'm current on my inspection.
    Thanks for the info, guys!
    DISCLAIMER: LiftLaws.com does not render legal or other professional advice. LiftLaws.com, and this forum, provide information about the law, however, legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult legal council if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Comment

The windshield wiper part listed is not correct.... we get them looked at during inspection time and there has to be 2 for complete safe viewing.. but Mass is screwed up for sure with all their overkills.
      Thanks for the info, I did find that windshields and windshield wipers are listed on the vehicle safety inspection checklist but I still can't find a code section that lists them as required.

Comment

I know with Wranglers you're allowed to drive with the doors off. I owned a Cherokee and took them off and mounted mirrors on my fenders to see but was told by a local cop it was against the law to drive with out doors unless I had a removable top and the floor panel had to have at least an inch and a half lip. Is there an exact defining law about driving with out doors.
        My Wrangler's got 3" of suspension lift... it's passed 3 years of inspection with such. I HAVE however been to an autobody/inspection shop where the owner was extraordinarily rude to me saying "I'd never have passed that. your lift is too big. Whoever passed that should have their state certification revoked" ... I'll be adding another inch of lift an 35s this summer, and returning to the same shop that I always take it to.

Another point... I drive without doors practically all summer. Occasionally I do not run side view mirrors (when I can't find my add-on mirrors) and have never had a problem with any LEOs. Just don't drive like an love, and I try and keep the Jeep clean from mud to keep attention away from it. Some police officers will give you grief if it looks like you off road, and draw attention to the lift and tires.
        The cop that said that didnt know his laws. You can legally drive in this state with no doors on your cherokee or any other truck. I used to carry a copy of the law with me (never had any issues or stopped for not having the doors on). There isnt any law in MA requiring doors. The law only states that you must have 2 outside rear view mirrors.

And yes I drove all over this state with the doors off the cherokee all summer long, worcester, boston, etc
        Thanks for posting!

Comment

Does anyone know the mass law about running lights and HID kits

Comment

LiftLaws.com only covers the rules on the number of lights and their position. Sorry we can't be of more help.

Originally posted by Gruntlife View Post
            Does anyone know the mass law about running lights and HID kits

Comment

Working...
            X